So why the south of France?

Why France?  Why the Aude?

More specifically, why the Aude?  What is it that draws you here?

The food, the wine, the climate, the landscape, the slower pace?  Is it a long held dream or something you just decided recently?  Are you going to live here or vacation here?  Are you going to work or are you retiring?

An Australian friend raised the question at dinner.

For me it was a lifelong dream.  I wanted to live in France.  In my late 40s I realized that if I really wanted to I had to do something about it.  So I did.

Why the Aude?  I knew I didn’t want to be on the Riviera and that I couldn’t afford Provence.  After some research I decided that Languedoc sounded like the right place.  I have to admit that I didn’t realize how big it was!  After a lot of exploring it was the Corbieres that sang to me.  Hence the Aude.

What about you?  If you’re reading this post you must have some interest in the Aude – or you’re my mother or my daughter!  What were you searching for when you found the post?

Leave a comment, I’d really like to know.

About Sam

Sam started Aude France as a companion site to her real estate site Aude France Property so that she could have a place to write about life in the Aude. Now that she's in Canada she writes about things that can affect owners and buyers in the Aude - or anything that strikes her fancy. On Pinterest you can find her by searching for Sam Mooney or clicking this link
This entry was posted in Aude property listings, Food and Drink, Living and working in France, Owning a house in France, Real estate in France, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to So why the south of France?

1. the daughter says:

i like the aude because my mum is there. 😉

2. Sam Mooney says:

Oh, that's so nice. You are my daughter. aren't you? LOL

3. jeanette says:

I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and comments I have a friend who lives ville de guillan and I am looking to find somewhere in the next year in or around Aude

4. Guy Houghton says:

Well, I have just started our search to eventually move to the south of France but can't afford the French Riviera. Just looked at the region on an on-line map and thought, well it is close enough to the Pyrenees, I hope there are towns close to the sea and that the climate is warm enough in the winter for my wife who hates the cold. A bit of a pin on a donkey but I do not know where to start!

5. Sam says:

It's tough. Check today's post – http://www.audefrance.com/2006/11/how_to_buy_a_ho.html – it might help get you started. And feel free to call if you need any help.

Bon courage,
    Sam

6. Le Frog says:

We chose L'Aude becuse of similar reasons, we liked Provence but it is too busy with tourists and too expensive for us.

L'Aude gave us the same climate, a lot more properties to choose from and you can get a table in a restuarant!

More importantly we have now many great friends in there who have made settling in so much easier. If only we were there at this moment.

7. Le Frog says:

8. michele ebeling says:

Hi…We have lived in Normandy for 10 years..We love france,but hate the weather here (my husband needs a warm climate for his health)..We are moving down in the summer,and think that the languedoc has everything that we need,but are unsure of where exactly? Any ideas?..Need a good,large town,with lots to do for teenage kids,and for us also! Preferably with a large British population.How is the weather down there in winter? Any towns/areas that are particularity bad ?..thanks for any info..michele

9. Sam Mooney says:

Hi Michele

Winter is very winterish in the mountains. The large towns in the Aude are Narbonne, Carcassonne, Limoux, and Castelnaudary. In the Herault there is Beziers and Montpellier.

Best thing to do is come and explore.

Comments are closed.