Pay more, spend less.
What is the cheapest property for sale in Languedoc-Roussillon? My guess is that it’s a semi-ruined village house with no plumbing and no outside space in a small hamlet in the back of beyond miles from anywhere. You can probably buy it for about 10,000 euros. And then spend about 80,000 euros doing it up. Is that really what you’re looking for?
Didn’t think so.
Compare that to a village house for sale in Montlaur, listed at 54,700 euros. No outside space but the house is in good condition. It needs to be decorated but you can do that yourself. If you want to spend about 20,000 euros you can make the small bedroom into a roof terrace. The sitting room on the ground floor would make a perfect master bedroom. But you really don’t need to do that. The house is on the corner of 2 narrow streets – no cars. Just do what the French do, put your table and chairs outside. A bonus, Montlaur has a small supermarket, a bakery and a butcher, a cafe/bar, and a park. A village with amenities.
Sounds nicer than the back of beyond and years of work.
So why hasn’t someone bought it already?
I don’t know. I’d buy it if I had the cash. I do know that it’s the cheapest house on my web site. And that I’m no longer listing village houses without outside space or the potential of adding a roof terrace.
The truth about cheap property for sale in the south of France.
- Habitable on a French immobilier web site does not mean that you could live in the house.
- If a cheap house has any kind of outside space the house will require an enormous investment.
- You’re going to have to pay to have work done or you’re going to have to do it yourself but you’re going to have to do work.
- If it looks too good to be true, it is.
- You get what you pay for.
- If you’re serious about buying a house in Languedoc you’re better off getting a small mortgage than you are trying to find that elusive cheap house.
- Don’t be surprised if immobiliers and estate agents aren’t overly enthusiastic about driving all over the map visiting dozens of cheap houses.
Come to look at property in France with an open mind and realistic expectations and you will find a perfect vacation home.