Maison de maitre, 6 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 5 shower rooms, kitchen, dining room, lounge, garage, cellar, courtyard, views. Ref 3319 listed at 299,000 euros. Terrific value.
This is one of the best restoration/renovations of a maison de maitre that I’ve seen. The owners have saved as many original features as they could; the front doors, the bedroom doors, the wooden floors, the fireplaces, the fixtures in the bathroom, and the Juliette balcony. The ceilings are more than 3m high.
It’s been operated as a B&B for the past 8 years. The owners are retiring and want to downsize. The house as been on the market for 3 years.
Why hasn’t it sold yet?
Obviously I can’t give a definitive answer but I have some thoughts.
- The house was initially listed at the peak of the market just as it was about to start on the downswing. The price was high, even if the market had remained strong. The market not only plunged, it froze. The only things that were selling were village houses with outside space for less than 150K.
- The house was advertised as a B&B for the first couple of years. The demand for B&B’s pretty much dried up. People who did want B&Bs wanted to do their own renovations and conversions under the impression – mistaken – that it would be cheaper to buy and renovate rather than to buy an already renovated house.
- Because it’s been on the market for a while it’s slipped to the back of agents’ minds.
- The outdoor space is a court rather than a garden
The house is now at the right price – even slightly undervalued – for the current market. It’s a lot of house for the money, in terms of the quality of the renovation as well as of the size.
- Of course it’s a great B&B if you want to buy and run a B&B. But it’s also great family home. Use the main floor bedrooms as a study, an office, a library, a TV room.
- If you’re an artist use part of the main floor as a gallery and use the wonderful attic space as a studio.
- Run it as a cooking school using the space in the garage as a kitchen.
- Run cycling tours, or photo tours, or whatever interests you.
If you’d like more information or would like to arrange an appointment to see it please email me – firstname.lastname@example.org